Victorian Government calls royal commission into potentially tainted gangland convictions


Updated

December 03, 2018 14:35:12

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews has announced a royal commission into a number of potentially tainted gangland convictions.

The royal commission will inquire into Victoria Police’s recruitment and management of one of its informants during Melbourne’s bloody gangland war.

The informant was a criminal defence barrister for several people who were convicted of criminal offences over the past two decades.

At the same time, the barrister acted as an informant to Victoria Police about some of these people.

Mr Andrews said Victoria Police had given the Government assurances that its practices had changed since the barrister was recruited as an informant, and that a 2015 report by the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission had found that no unlawful conduct had occurred.

But he said the Victorian community had a right to know what had happened in the case, and to be assured that such practices had been stamped out.

“While these events took place many years ago, the Victorian public has a right to know that every part of the justice system acts fairly and lawfully at all times,” Mr Andrews said.

The royal commission will provide an interim report by July 1, 2019, and a final report by December 1, 2019.

More to come.

First posted

December 03, 2018 14:15:29



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *