A gang of youths stomped and kicked two Melbourne men until they lost consciousness, new CCTV footage reveals, in an assault that police have described as “brutal” and “senseless”.
- Police have released new CCTV footage of two men being attacked in St Kilda earlier this month
- The men were stomped and kicked until they lost consciousness
- Police are trying to identify up to 20 young men of African-Australian appearance who took part in the assault
The vision, from security cameras along the St Kilda foreshore, then shows a young man rifling through one of the victim’s pockets before stealing his wallet and mobile phone.
The incident follows a spate of violence in St Kilda, a popular beach precinct in Melbourne.
The assault happened shortly after 11:00pm on December 1, as the three victims were walking along the foreshore near the St Kilda Surf Lifesaving Club, near Jacka Boulevard.
They were approached by a group of up to 10 youths, who police said were of African-Australian appearance.
The youths attacked the trio, who tried to diffuse the situation by walking away.
They were instead mobbed by a larger group of men.
Detective Senior Constable Nathan Sheppard from Victoria Police estimated up to 20 young people took part in the brawl.
“It was a totally unprovoked attack,” he said.
“There was nothing to indicate a cause or start to the incident basically.”
Police condemn ‘senseless’ attack
Graphic footage shows one of the victims, a 24-year-old man from Burwood East, sitting on the ground as up to five men punch and kick him until he loses consciousness.
Police said he suffered a broken nose and facial bruising.
The video then shows him being robbed by one of the youths wearing a white cap and shoes.
The second victim, a 26-year-old Wheelers Hill man, was attacked by at least four youths as he tried to intervene.
The vision shows one of the young men jumping in the air to create momentum before stomping on him.
The third victim was chased away.
Detective Senior Constable Sheppard said the attack was “senseless” and “brutal”.
“It’s going to take some time for them to get over what took place but they’re gradually moving on with things,” he said.
Police believe the youths are aged in their teens to 20s and are urging anyone who recognises them to contact Crime Stoppers.
No-one has been arrested or questioned yet.
Last month, a group of youths attacked two men, smashing a bottle over one man’s head and punching the other.
In response, Port Phillip Council has voted to ban alcohol on the beach in an effort to stem booze-induced brawls.
Victoria Police has also increased its patrols in the area.