Ambulance crews were called to the StarCity complex in Birmingham, after reports of a patient in cardiac arrest. (Supplied: Daniel Kowalski)
A 24-year-old man has died after getting his head stuck under an electronic cinema seat in Birmingham.
Mr Rafiq was retrieving a phone in his Gold Class seat when his head became trapped. (Supplied)
Ateef Rafiq, who was attending the film at a Vue cinema complex with his partner, reportedly became wedged in the electronic footrest of his seat when he bent down to retrieve a phone.
He was only freed after the footrest was broken by staff and other patrons.
Mr Rafiq suffered from cardiac arrest and was taken to the city’s Heartlands Hospital where he died a week later.
In a statement, Vue International said: “Following an incident which took place on Friday, 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.
“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday, 16 March.
“A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing.
“Our thoughts and condolences are with the family, who have our full support and assistance.”
Birmingham City Council has begun a health and safety investigation.