Thai cave rescue: Video shows Wild Boars players chatting, making victory signs


July 12, 2018 00:02:57

Sitting in a hospital isolation ward and wearing green surgical masks, the boys rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand’s north appear in good spirits in new footage.

The video shows the boys chatting with nurses and making two-finger victory signs. Some of their parents are seen crying and waving to them from behind glass.

The 12 boys and their soccer coach lost an average of 2 kilograms during their 17-day ordeal but were generally in good condition and showed no signs of stress, a senior health official said.

Thais reacted with relief, gratitude and exhilaration after the last group of the Wild Boars soccer team was rescued from the Tham Luang cave on Tuesday, near the border with Myanmar, ending an ordeal that gripped Thailand and the world.

They were taken by helicopter to a hospital about 70 kilometres away to join their team mates in quarantine for the time being.

“From our assessment, they are in good condition and not stressed. The children were well taken care of in the cave. Most of the boys lost an average of 2 kilograms,” Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, an inspector for Thailand’s health department, said.

Parents of the first four boys freed on Sunday have been able to visit them but only when wearing protective suits and standing two metres away as a precaution.

Mr Thongchai said one from the last group rescued on Tuesday had a lung infection and they were all given vaccinations for rabies and tetanus.

Chaiwetch Thanapaisal, director of Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, told a news conference involving officials involved in the rescue that “everyone is strong in mind and heart”.

Boys put into harnesses during rescue

Thailand’s Navy SEALs released a video showing the daring rescue of the 12 boys and their coach from the cave, ending an ordeal that lasted more than two weeks.

The boys saved from a flooded cave endured dives in zero visibility lasting up to half an hour.

In places, they were put into harnesses and high-lined across rocky caverns, according to a rescuer involved in the operation.







Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *