Subcontractors not paid yet for work on $35m Gold Coast Topgolf park


Updated

June 14, 2018 10:45:11

Subcontractors who built a new $35 million golf park on Queensland’s Gold Coast are up to $500,000 out of pocket for their work, a group says.

The subcontractors are in dispute with the Brisbane-based company that built the Topgolf park, built on land next to Movieworld on the northern Gold Coast.

The news of the payment shortfalls were revealed today, just 24 hours before Topgolf is due to be opened to the public tomorrow.

The owners of Topgolf and Movieworld are not involved in the dispute.

Subbies United spokesman John Goddard, who represents some of the subcontractors, said the company involved — Astute Projects — had contacted subcontractors last week.

“Astute Projects has sent a letter out to subbies on June 8, telling them that due to cost blowouts and estimator error, it has had a significant effect on their cash flow,” he said.

“Basically they [Astute Projects] can’t pay and they say they may be able to pay 50 or 60 cents in the dollar — it’s a disgrace and it happens practically every week.

“Almost monthly we are dealing with a liquidation of a building company — sometimes twice a month — and what we try to do is get the liquidator appointed by the builder out and have one appointed by the creditors.

“That way at least you get a fair hearing.”

Mr Goddard said he did not know how many subcontractors were affected.

“Some have been in contact with me and asked me to not publicise it — they wanted to try to get as much as they could out of the wreck,” he said.

Astute Projects has declined to comment to the ABC.

Topics:

building-and-construction,

industry,

business-economics-and-finance,

work,

community-and-society,

activism-and-lobbying,

oxenford-4210,

qld,

australia,

southport-4215,

helensvale-4212,

brisbane-4000

First posted

June 14, 2018 10:38:39



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *