School funding: SA signs up for new national agreement despite complaints from other states
South Australia has become the first state to sign up to the Federal Government’s new national agreement for schools funding.
- The Commonwealth has been locked in a dispute with the states over the funding deal
- Education Minister Dan Tehan hopes other states will follow SA in accepting the deal
- The Government had been close to signing deals with the states before it announced it would pour billions into the private-school sector
The Commonwealth has been locked in a dispute with the states over the deal, with several states complaining not enough money would go towards public schools.
But the Education Minister, Dan Tehan, said he was hopeful other states would now follow South Australia.
“Our hope is to have all these agreements signed up in the next few weeks,” Mr Tehan said.
“I’m making really good progress with all the states and territories in this regard.
“And now, especially that we’ve got this first agreement in place, I expect others to follow very shortly.”
The Government had been close to signing deals with the states before it announced it would pour billions into the private-school sector.
Then several weeks ago, Victoria accused the Federal Government of “holding a gun” to its head over the agreement. It released a letter from Mr Tehan which warned the Commonwealth would be unable to fund public and private schools in early 2019 unless a deal was signed by December 7.
At the time, Labor’s federal education spokeswoman, Tanya Plibersek, accused Mr Tehan of using “bully boy tactics” in the negotiations.
But Mr Tehan said the agreement with South Australia showed this was a good deal.
“We will see an additional $20 billion flow to South Australian schools from the Commonwealth Government between now and 2029,” he said.
“So we’re talking about record funding from the Commonwealth into South Australian schools, but also record funding from the South Australian Government into their own schools.”