SA call centre beefed up for New Year’s Eve night celebration fallouts
A bolstered ambulance and call centre force will again be on standby to deal with the expected surge in drunken incidents and assaults when thousands celebrate New Year’s Eve night.
The SA Ambulance Service told the Sunday Mail it would roster extra staff throughout the state to deal with any issues as partygoers get ready to say goodbye to 2018.
A spokeswoman said the extra staff would be both on the road and in call centres.
“This New Year’s Eve, SA Ambulance Service will have more than 20 extra staff working on the road throughout the state, including single responders and additional ambulances,” she said.
“Additional staff have also been rostered on in the SAAS emergency operations centre to take triple-0 calls.”
This is an increase from last year when 20 additional staff were assigned to the road and call centre operations.
It will form a widespread effort from the state’s emergency services to deal with the huge crowds that are expected for the celebrations.
SA Police has already revealed it will enforce declared public precincts at Glenelg and in the CBD when tens of thousands of revellers converge on the two locations for a variety of free events.
This will afford police officers certain powers to maintain public safety and order.
The powers allow officers to ban troublemakers from the area, direct them to move on, and to conduct searches using metal detectors.
Glenelg’s DPP will run along Anzac Highway, to Brighton Rd and to Pier St, also taking in the beach area.
The CBD’s DPP will run from North Tce to East and West terraces and Currie and Grenfell streets and also take in the Riverbank area.
Last year, 24 people were ordered out of the CBD precinct and one person was arrested under the powers, while Glenelg had 10 ejected, five barred and also one arrest.
The powers are already used in Hindley St on Friday and Saturday nights.
More details about the safety measures police will implement for New Year’s Eve will be disclosed tomorrow.
Adelaide City Council has also beefed up security for its free party at Elder Park.
The annual New Year’s Eve Big Bash League cricket match at Adelaide Oval — this year between the Adelaide Strikers and Sydney Thunder, starting at 6.45pm — is also expected to draw a large crowd.
Some bus routes will have scheduled runs cut as Adelaide’s troubled year for public transport continues.
Train timetables will remain the same but carriages will be reduced in number and trams will be unaffected.