Perth Mint hit by data breach involving third-party provider



Posted

September 08, 2018 13:10:58

The Perth Mint has been hit by a data breach affecting 13 Depository Online customers, involving data being taken from information held by a third-party provider.

Perth Mint CEO Richard Hayes said an ongoing investigation had confirmed all investments held at the Perth Mint were secure.

“We identified the potential breach on Wednesday this week and immediately began a comprehensive forensic investigation to verify the nature and extent of the breach,” Mr Hayes said.

“We are working with the external third-party provider to understand how this breach occurred and have taken steps to remediate the identified threat.”

The Perth Mint has provided details of the breach to the Western Australian Police and is in the process of notifying the Australian Federal Police and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.

Mr Hayes said customers whose data had been accessed were being contacted.

“We are very disappointed this has occurred but can assure our customers that our systems remain secure and that there is no threat to their account holdings.”

“We sincerely regret any distress caused by the misconduct of these unlawful individuals who are responsible for this breach.

“We have assured these customers that their investments remain safe and secure.

“The Perth Mint has also provided advice to these customers to prevent their personal information from being misused.”

Mr Hayes said Depository Online investors represented only a small group of the Perth Mint’s customer base and he was confident that no data belonging to any other investors or customers had been accessed.

“Our clients can be assured that we are doing everything in our power to assist those customers whose information has been accessed,” he said.

Topics:

gold,

law-crime-and-justice,

perth-6000



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *