‘Night stalker’ Jason Burr jailed for 20 years over multiple rapes
A serial rapist who targeted sleeping women by breaking into their homes has been jailed for 20 years after DNA evidence linked him to the attacks.
Jason Juan Burr, dubbed the “night stalker” for his attacks on four women between 2008 and 2016, pleaded guilty to rape in the District Court at Southport on Thursday.
Burr broke into homes after dark by cutting flyscreen, forcing his way in or accessing unlocked doors, prosecutor Clayton Wallis said.
Two of the victims were aged 57 and 64, the court heard.
While police had been able to connect the cases through DNA evidence, Burr could not be identified because he was not in the database.
That changed in November 2016, when a 13-year-old who knew the man reported that she had been touched through her clothes, Mr Wallis said.
Mr Wallis said Burr’s DNA was put into the system and it “lit up like a Christmas tree”, solving the four rape cases.
Burr was also found guilty of wilful exposure, relating to an incident at a Gold Coast unit complex.
Judge Julie Dick described the rapes as “brazen and abhorrent”.
“It’s every woman’s worst nightmare,” she said.
Burr’s early guilty plea meant the case did not need to go to trial.
It was something Judge Dick took into account, along with time already served in pre-sentence custody, when she reduced his jail term from 22 years to 20.
“I think it is very important that you have saved four complainants from reliving this,” she said.
Burr will be eligible for parole after serving 15 years, meaning his earliest release date is January 2032.
A police spokesman thanked the victims and witnesses who came forward to assist the investigation.
He also commended the investigators and forensic officers for their work.