An Adelaide man charged over the death of 22-year-old Jack Hanley in a city brawl last year has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter and will stand trial.
Jack Hanley died after a brawl broke out between two groups of men on Hindley Street, near the intersection of Morphett Street, in the early hours of December 10, 2017.
Reece Andrew Watherston, 21, was arrested and charged with manslaughter later the same day.
On Thursday, Mr Watherston faced the Adelaide Magistrates Court where he formally pleaded not guilty to unlawfully killing Mr Hanley.
During the hearing, members of Mr Hanley’s family cried in court.
Mr Watherston, who has been on home detention bail living in Port Augusta all year, will be arraigned in the Supreme Court on November 5, when a trial date will be set.
Police say brawl was not a ‘random attack’
Following the incident last year, police said it was believed that about 10 people were involved in the brawl.
“This was the result of an interaction between two groups. It wasn’t a random attack on a particular person, but it’s still unclear whether the two groups were known to each other,” Detective Chief Inspector Charmaine Peters said last year.
“We’re not sure if [fighting] began previously during the night in another location or whether it actually started at that location.”
The incident — which occurred in Adelaide’s popular nightclub district — also put the spotlight back on the Late Night Code, which was developed in 2012 and 2013 following community concern around alcohol-fuelled violence.
Under the “lockout laws”, people are not allowed to enter venues after 3:00am, there is a ban on shots and double drinks after 4:00am and on drinking alcohol on footpaths after 2:00am.