Harvey Weinstein pleads not guilty to rape, criminal sex act charges


Posted

June 06, 2018 00:50:07

Film producer Harvey Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to rape and criminal sex act charges in New York.

The hearing in Manhattan comes after a grand jury indicted the former film mogul last week on charges involving two women.

One alleged victim, who has not been identified publicly, told investigators Weinstein cornered her in a hotel room and raped her.

The other accuser, former actress Lucia Evans, has gone public with her account of Weinstein forcing her to perform oral sex at his office in 2004.

Dozens more women have accused him of sexual misconduct, ranging from harassment to assault.

Weinstein, 66, has denied all allegations of non-consensual sex.

His lawyer Benjamin Brafman challenged the credibility of his alleged victims and said his client was confident he was going to clear his name.

Mr Brafman called the rape allegation “absurd,” saying the accuser and Weinstein had a decade-long, consensual sexual relationship that continued after the alleged 2013 attack.

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R Vance Jr has said it was predictable that Weinstein’s camp would attack the integrity of the women and of the legal system.

Mr Vance, a Democrat, came under public pressure from women’s groups to prosecute Weinstein after declining to do so in 2015, when an Italian model went to police to say Weinstein had groped her during a meeting.

Police set up a sting in which the woman recorded herself confronting Weinstein and him apologising for his conduct.

But Mr Vance decided there was not enough evidence to bring charges.

Weinstein is out on $US1 million ($1.32 million) bail.

AP

Topics:

sexual-offences,

law-crime-and-justice,

courts-and-trials,

united-states



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *