Sacked Australian batsman David Warner has announced he will accept his 12-month ban.
- David Warner accepts sanctions along with Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft
- He says he will now do everything he can to become a better person and role model
- Warner would not answer questions about whether he was the ringleader of the ball-tampering plot
In a tweet, the former vice-captain said he let Cricket Australia know he took full responsibility for his role in the ball-tampering scandal.
“I am truly sorry for my actions and will now do everything I can to be a better person, teammate and role model,” he said.
Warner’s announcement comes a day after former captain Steve Smith and player Cameron Bancroft accepted their 12-month and nine-month bans respectively.
There had been doubt over whether Warner would accept the sanctions imposed on him.
It was originally thought Warner was particularly keen on having his case put to an independent code-of-conduct commissioner.
His legal team reportedly requested transcripts from interviews Cricket Australia conducted during its investigation into ball-tampering, which Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) board member Janet Torney said was important before responding to any sanctions.
Players hatched the idea of cheating with yellow sandpaper to scuff one side of the ball during the third Test in South Africa.
On Wednesday, Smith wrote in a tweet he accepted full responsibility for his part in the scandal.
“I would give anything to have this behind me and back representing my country,” he said.
“But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as captain of the team.”
Bancroft also announced on Twitter he lodged paperwork with Cricket Australia, accepting the sanction.
“I would love to put this behind me and will do whatever it takes to earn back the trust of the Australian public,” he said.
Questions followed Warner’s tearful press conference
Warner made a tearful apology during a press conference on Easter Saturday morning, but refused to answer key questions.
He repeatedly said he was “taking responsibility for my part” in the ball-tampering scandal and wouldn’t specifically say if he was the ringleader of the plot.
He also played down any rumours of a rift between himself and his teammates.
Warner later tweeted he hadn’t answered the questions as he was following Cricket Australia’s formal process.
CA’s code of conduct dictates that players can accept sanctions at any point, “prior to the commencement of the hearing at the time/place specified in the notice of charge”, which was understood to be April 11.
ACA President Greg Dyer said the penalties were “disproportionate” and the contrition expressed by the players had been “so extraordinary”.
“Their distressed faces have sent a message across the globe is as effective as any sanctions could be,” he said.
“I think Australia cried with Steve Smith last Thursday, I certainly did.
“We expect this contrition to be taken into account by ACA as any other process.”