Charges dropped against Wallaroo siege-accused Conan Taylor
Police have dropped all charges against the man accused of sparking a nine-hour siege in Wallaroo last August.
- Mr Taylor was arrested in NSW last September before being extradited back to SA
- When he was approached by police in August, he pointed a firearm at officers before fleeing
- It sparked the nine-hour manhunt in the Yorke Peninsula town, but he eluded police
Prosecutors told the Adelaide Magistrates Court this morning that the case against 37-year-old Conan Sol Taylor would not proceed.
Magistrate Greg Fisher told Mr Taylor, who appeared via video link, that he would shortly be released from jail.
He is not in custody on any other charges.
Mr Taylor was arrested in New South Wales last September before being extradited back to South Australia to face court.
He was denied bail on September 28.
In a statement, police said the reason the charges had been dropped was because of a lack of “admissible evidence”.
“The reason for this decision is that there is no reasonable prospect of conviction against either accused on this matter,” the statement said.
“There is insufficient admissible evidence capable of proving beyond reasonable doubt that either accused had possession of the firearms located at the premises at Sharples Road, Wallaroo, or those located at Taylor St, Kadina.”
Prosecutors previously told the court that Mr Taylor was wanted by police over alleged firearm thefts, but when he was approached on a Wallaroo street in August, he pointed a firearm at officers before fleeing.
It sparked a nine-hour manhunt in the Yorke Peninsula town, but he eluded police.
He was later arrested and charged with possessing a firearm without a licence, aggravated assault with a weapon against a police officer and possessing a firearm with intent to commit an offence.
Previous run-ins with police
In 2016, Mr Taylor made headlines when he taunted police on his Facebook page by posting images of his location while wanted for arrest.
He was on the run from police and posted pictures from the Riverton Hotel, Riverton Caravan Park and from outside the Clare Hotel.
At that time, police raided several properties in the search for Mr Taylor, who allegedly pulled a gun on officers during a routine traffic stop outside Kadina, on the Yorke Peninsula, on December 1, 2016.
He was eventually arrested in Blakeview, in Adelaide’s north, and pleaded guilty to three charges — including aggravated assault with a weapon against police — in July 2017.
Mr Taylor spent four months in prison for that incident.