Car involved in crash that hospitalised seven may have been stolen, speeding and ran red light

0


Updated

January 14, 2019 10:15:23

Seven people have been taken to hospital after a two-car collision in Springvale, in Melbourne’s south-east, this morning.

A car travelling east along the Princes Highway collided with a car going north on Springvale Road shortly before 5.00am (AEDT), police said.

Witnesses have told police the eastbound car was speeding and ran a red light at the time of the crash.

Police said they were trying to determine if it had been stolen.

The car was carrying six people, aged between the mid-teens and 20, who were taken to hospital with injuries ranging from life-threatening to minor.

The sole occupant of the other vehicle, a Parkdale man in his 40s, was also taken to hospital.

“[There’s been] a significant impact, side impact, so really lucky at this stage that no-one has lost their life,” Superintendent John Fitzpatrick said.

He said some people in the eastbound car were not wearing seat belts.

“Anytime that you’ve got a sedan that’s got the capacity to hold five people safely carrying six people is irresponsible,” he said.

“You shouldn’t really do it.”

He said the “heavy impact” of the collision meant the northbound car was pushed a significant distance across the intersection.

As of 10.00am, Springvale Road remained closed in both directions and the Princes Highway was only open inbound, as police continued to investigate.

“If you have a look at the scene and where the debris has been strewn across, there’s a fair bit of investigation that needs to take place to reconstruct it,” Superintendent Fitzpatrick said.

Topics:

road,

accidents,

disasters-and-accidents,

melbourne-3000,

vic

First posted

January 14, 2019 10:14:21



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Powered by WP Robot

%d bloggers like this: