A 12-year-old boy remains missing on the Gold Coast after being pulled into a car outside his home at Mudgeeraba on Friday afternoon, with Queensland police saying the boy may be at significant risk.
He was last seen on Clover Hill Drive at Mudgeeraba about 3:30pm being pulled into a dark-coloured Jeep SUV with possible Queensland registration 760 TNH.
He is described as being Asian in appearance and was last seen wearing a white shirt and dark-coloured shorts.
Police are seeking urgent public assistance to help locate the boy.
CCTV image of the Jeep SUV that abducted a 12-year-old boy outside his house. (Supplied: QPS)
This morning, Detective Inspector Marc Hogan said he was taken from the front of his home.
“I can’t say if he got into the house itself, but it was directly out the front of his residence,” he said.
“It’s a very close community in there, there were people who were home at the time and they reported it to police.”
Inspector Hogan said it appeared the abduction was premeditated but they were not ruling anything out.
The Mudgeeraba street where the boy was abducted on Friday afternoon. (ABC News: Elise Kinsella)
“We’ve received information today from other members of the public, which has sort of steered us in that direction, but again we’re keeping an open mind,” he said.
He said a major incident room had been set up in Burleigh where police had worked through the night in an attempt to locate the boy.
“Hopefully we’ll find this boy very quickly,” Inspector Hogan said.
Oliver’s school, Somerset College, posted a message regarding his disappearance on Friday night, while police released CCTV images taken of him in Mudgeeraba that afternoon.
Headmaster Craig Bassingthwaighte told the ABC on Saturday it was a shocking and disturbing thing to happen to one of his students.
“We’re doing everything we possibly can to support the family and help the police with their investigations,” he said.
Mr Bassingthwaighte described the student as a “wonderful lad” and said the school was providing support for other students.
“We’re certainly very, very concerned about them and on Monday we’ll have a full team of counsellors here for any of them who needs that assistance — we’ll certainly be ready to offer that,” he said.
Inspector Hogan said there was initially a delay of several hours in alerting the public of the incident because they believed it could have been resolved.
“Initially there was some information which appeared that if it had been run out in due course the matter would have been resolved pretty quickly but it didn’t work out that way,” he said.
Inspector Hogan said police were “living in hope” that everything turned out OK.
“I’ve got a team of police in there that dive for the phone every time it rings … obviously the safety of this child is what we’re most concerned about and that’s what we want to see that child returned to his family,” he said.
Officers said people could call 131 564 to provide information about the boy’s abduction or call triple-0 for life-threatening information.